This took me quite a few days work but I finally got all the Hero sprites into one sprite sheet. I had
avoided doing this before as I thought it would cause a lot of slowdown, but it turns out a 1400 x 14000 PNG image with a lot of empty space only equates to 520KB! Less than half a MB to have the convenience of being able to call any Hero animation in the game by a single plugin command. I''m very excited about this and will make a video showing all the Hero's moves soon.
All the videos I've put up on YouTube, with some extra commentary on how I've progressed since posting them.
The First One:
When I first started I was using a high resolution, 1080 by something. At that time the character could only move by 48 pixel blocks, the standard RPG Maker MV mouse setup. The advantage was pathfinding was very quick (my current pathfinding setup is pixel based and not that great, keyboard movement works perfect though).
This video seems to be getting the most hits on YouTube which is unfortunate because boy did the game look ugly. Horizontally stretched background images, and default RPG Maker text. But I'm grateful for the encouragement I received despite this, which kept me motivated.
A comical new death scene and the first original content I had shown everyone, was very well received on QFG forums and was also my first 'like' from Lori Cole, which got me all emotional.
I built this original fighting system using a series of switches and picture changes. Compared to trying to build a fight system in Adventure Game Studio it was relatively easy and where RPG Maker really shows it's flexibility. I will rebuild the system entirely using Quxios's ABS plugin soon, what that means is that I can use real collision detection and RMV battle calculations, instead of simply "A is attacking + B is not blocking = hit". I think the final battle system will be a big improvement and add a lot of skill to the game.
One possible intro sequence. I haven't worked on any of these scenes since doing this, it's quite far down my list of priorities as the final opening sequence will probably feature many sprites and characters I haven't done yet. One idea is to show the backstory of Baba Yaga's arrival, and even the Sheriff and Guildmaster's dragon fight.
Climb up here...
From the roof we climb down this ladder.
Now we are to the side of the pit-traps and archers scene.
Head into the new kitchen scene...
And we are in!
This scene contains two blur layers, one for the slightly far away and another for the distant mountain. I also really want to do something with that their mountain.
I spent the morning creating sprite sheets and using Quasi's new QSprite plugin to choreograph a little dance routine. The music I made in Ableton Live.